Henley-on-Thames Town Council Vacancies
This is an exciting opportunity for a Town Centre Manager experienced in economic development, events, and town centre management to join our team and help us support and develop our vibrant community. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving the economic heart of Henley, ensuring it remains a secure, dynamic and vibrant market town, serving the needs of businesses, residents, and visitors alike.
Duties and responsibilities
1. To facilitate meetings of Council committees and sub-committees, including setting agendas, and producing reports.
2. To manage a team, including the Markets & Events Manager and Mayor’s PA.
3. To work in collaboration with local tourist attractions and twinning associations to promote and improve Henley as a visitor destination, including having editorial control of the Visit Henley website.
4. To oversee the running of the regular charter market, and other Council-facilitated markets.
5. To manage the programme of Council-run events, including overseeing civic ceremonies, and working in partnership with other organisers to ensure a comprehensive programme of year-round activities to create greater community cohesion and town centre vibrancy.
6. To take the lead on managing the visual attraction, amenity, and cleanliness of the town centre, including liaising with other stakeholders to manage projects on street cleaning; street furniture; bunting, lights, hanging baskets, planters and Christmas trees; litter bin and other waste collection; signage; and on-street advertising.
7. To engage with local businesses, retailers, and service providers to improve the vibrancy of the town centre; support existing businesses; and attract more commerce and footfall.
8. To manage the running and economic viability of the Council-run bus service.
9. To work in partnership with the Police and other local authorities and agencies to assist them in improving community safety, and reducing antisocial behaviour, crime, and the fear of crime.
10. To work in partnership with all key event partners to facilitate the smooth running of external events for visitors, residents, and businesses.
11. To work in partnership with South Oxfordshire District Council to improve their amenities and services, including economic development, street cleaning, environmental health, car parking provision, and public conveniences.
12. To lead on projects to improve and promote Henley’s attractiveness, including Henley in Bloom.
13. To work in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council to improve the public highway and on-street parking provision, especially in the town centre.
14. To manage and report on all budgets falling under the team.
15. To carry out other such duties as the Council may require from time to time.
1. A proven successful track record in delivering community services and / or economic development initiatives
2. Experience in successfully managing events with a keen eye for detail
3. Impeccable IT skills, including experience of website management
4. Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative
5. Experience of successful project management and delivery
6. Excellent organizational skills
7. Awareness of the role of the Town Council in local government
8. Excellent oral and written communication skills
9. Ability to present sound, well-presented advice to a variety of audiences
10. Flexibility in order to attend occasional evening meetings
11. The ability to operate with impartiality in a political environment
12. Educated to graduate level or above
13. Membership of the ATCM or similar professional body
14. Experience of line managing / supervising staff
15. Experience working with different tiers of local government or the third sector
16. Experience in running markets
17. Experience of coordinating meetings and preparing agendas and reports